When I was a teenager I read an sf or fantasy novel set in Africa somewhere. Can't remember the title except I think it involved three body parts. A hand and an eye. Something like that. I didn't understand or enjoy it very well. And I've never read anything else since.
Oh, except for Naomi Novik's Temeraire novel set there. That's not what I'm looking for.
I managed to find this list on matociquala's LJ
of non-Caucasian sf authors. But it's a bit unwieldy for my purposes since I'd need to research each one individually.
So I went to Wikipedia, because I knew it'd have a category for SF authors by nationality
and Fantasy authors by nationality
It does. But they're supremely poorly developed.
So, fine. I'll research each one individually and add categories on Wikipedia as I go for the edification of future generations. Only this is going to be a big task, so does anyone please want to:
a) help out yourself, and/or
b) pass the word along to anyone else who might be interested in helping out?
Here's what you need to do:
- Open the list of sf authors or the list of fantasy authors.
- Click on an author.
- In the lede of the article it should tell you the author's nationality X.
- At the bottom of the article it should have a list of categories. If there is no "X science fiction writers" or "X fantasy writers" then:
- click on the "Edit" button to the right of External links
- paste in eg [[Category:American science fiction writers]] or [[Category:American fantasy writers]]. (This should be among the other category lines if any; otherwise just put it in anywhere, someone else will move it if they're nitpicky.)
- in the edit summary type in something like 'category added' so if you're not logged in, people watching recent edits will know they don't need to make sure you're not a vandal.
- click "Save page"
- While not bored, goto 2).
Also the lists are incomplete, so if you want to add authors to the list and categorise them at the same time, I can provide instructions for that too.
If you're likely to do a lot, it might be worth commenting here to say which list/letters you're going to be working on so people don't waste time clicking on authors who've already been categorised. I'm currently working on the Fantasy As, and when I've finished that I'll start at the end of the Zs and work my way back.
(Of course, if you know any sf/fantasy set in Africa, preferably by African authors, and can just give me a title and/or author, that'd be cool too.)
: Oh, never mind. I seem to have misunderstood how the category page displayed. At least 75% of the authors have been categorised, which makes wading through to find those who haven't been a job only for the bored or obsessive. However, no authors on Wikipedia are categorised as [anywhere-in-African] fantasy|science fiction writers. So if you know of any, please let me know; I'll need to do a bit of fiddling to get it to appear in the category hierarchy.]